Duck Avenger Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duck Avenger Forum

BETA

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

#14 - Carpe Diem

Go down 
+2
Banker
Lyla
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lyla

Lyla

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 3:10 pm

Just reread it. It was (and is) one of my favorite issues, but... I didn't remember it was so... COOL!!! TOO COOL!
The Raider + PK is THE BEST DUO EVER.
I just love Artibani and Barbucci.
Back to top Go down
Banker
Admin
Banker

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 3:19 pm

An issue is always excellent when Newton's in it.

Mmm...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/LordofCorruption?feature=mhee
Krozam

Krozam

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Personally, I prefer PK+Xadhoom, but it's true that PK+Raider is a bit more... balanced. Xadhoom kicks too much ass on her own, she rarely needs help. Razz

PK and Raider's dialogue usually flows really well.
"And so it's true..."
"You thought it was a joke?"
"I hoped it 'til now!"
"Tell me, you won't be scared, won't you?"
"Only... immensely."
"Me too! But don't tell it. I've got my image to defend."

Bad translation aside, Carpe Diem does have several pearls of dialogue.

Also, Raider is quite sympathetic for a villain, he's got some key values right despite his profession. For example, I don't remember him ever once lying. And he never hurts anyone more than necessary.

One thing I've always wondered about Carpe Diem: How the hell is it even possible to travel to the time when the collapse started, if the collapse has already wiped out the whole century? O.o That time-period wasn't supposed to exist anymore. Plot-hole much? <.<
Back to top Go down
Banker
Admin
Banker

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Krozam wrote:
One thing I've always wondered about Carpe Diem: How the hell is it even possible to travel to the time when the collapse started, if the collapse has already wiped out the whole century? O.o That time-period wasn't supposed to exist anymore. Plot-hole much? <.<

It was the.. time before that time... in another time when time exists before time doesn't exist... a time time had forgotten... it's like, negative times... times times... equals halftime... so time existed, but it didn't... partially...

What the f*ck am I writing?
Back to top Go down
Krozam

Krozam

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Believe it or not, I actually understand what you mean. However, it still tastes more like a plothole to me. :/
Back to top Go down
Lyla

Lyla

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Krozam wrote:
Also, Raider is quite sympathetic for a villain, he's got some key values right despite his profession. For example, I don't remember him ever once lying. And he never hurts anyone more than necessary.
Have you ever read #49/50?

Krozam wrote:
I knew that sooner or later someone would have asked this question here TOO. Very Happy
It's a long debate that has lasted more than 14 years, for us... this thing still causes many headaches for fans.

One thing that recently appeared on a forum he attend... XD

A fan: I wonder how much he drank to invent the mechanisms of Carpe Diem!
Artibani's response: I actually drank AFTER I finished Carpe Diem, to forget it. Very Happy

It's a problem also for Artibani. So yes, it's a sort of plothole.
Even if I recently founded it...
"If starting from any point of time-space still intact you can travel forward along the hypothetical axis of events and then get a version of the 25th century still intact. But only starting from a point just still existing, in this case the 23rd century. Until exist even a shred of the past, you can always try to save its future."
...and I find it quite good.
Back to top Go down
Krozam

Krozam

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:14 pm

Lyla wrote:
Have you ever read #49/50?

Name? The issues were numbered different in my country, since they started at the Xadhoom saga.
Back to top Go down
Banker
Admin
Banker

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:15 pm

Krozam wrote:
Name? The issues were numbered different in my country, since they started at the Xadhoom saga.

It's basically the last issue of the first series.
Back to top Go down
Krozam

Krozam

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:21 pm

I probably haven't read it, then. Excluding the first two, they released 12 issues in Finland, starting with the Xadhoom Saga. Quite close to the end, but not that close. Especially since the last one didn't have Raider in it. <.<
Back to top Go down
Banker
Admin
Banker

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:26 pm

Krozam wrote:
I probably haven't read it, then. Excluding the first two, they released 12 issues in Finland, starting with the Xadhoom Saga. Quite close to the end, but not that close. Especially since the last one didn't have Raider in it. <.<

If it started there, it should have ended on #46.

Speaking of which, Xadhoom Trilogy is right after the next issue. Guess you won't have much new to read for a while...
Back to top Go down
Krozam

Krozam

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:30 pm

I know, and it's making me sad... Sad

Also, is it just me or did we finally get some real discussion done today?
Back to top Go down
Lyla

Lyla

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Banker wrote:
Speaking of which, Xadhoom Trilogy is right after the next issue. Guess you won't have much new to read for a while...
Wait: could PK2 be a news for everyone here?
I still don't really understand how and in what quantity the issues have been broadcasted in your countries...
And WHY did they start with Xadhoom trilogy? -.-
Back to top Go down
Krozam

Krozam

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:46 pm

I don't know the real reason, but for some reason they wanted to release the issues at the same pace with other countries, and jumped, instead of catching up the usual way. <.<
Back to top Go down
Lyla

Lyla

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 pm

Silly people... O.O
Back to top Go down
Maximillion_Pegasus

Maximillion_Pegasus

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 10:32 pm

Krozam wrote:
Bad translation aside
What's wrong with the translation? Just for...academic porpouse. Like to learn Smile
(By the way, I would be most grateful to any english native speaker correcting my errors. As I said, I like to learn).

And yes, I'm among those who think there's a plot hole. Big one, honestly. That's the reason why I don't like so much this issue. Tried to sketch something (I think putting ideas into figures always helps).

Spatiotemporal diagram of "Carpe Diem".
#14 - Carpe Diem 16kndoi

Got it? Sorry for my engineer-like way of seeing things...
Back to top Go down
Asparagus32

Asparagus32

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 11:04 pm

No need to be sorry, this is a very good method of showing the huge plothole in this issue. I came to the acceptance that most time travel stories just don't work if you think too much about the consequences and paradoxons.

As for the bad translation, even though I'm not really sure about it:

"So it's true..."
"I hoped it 'til now!"
"Don't tell me you're scared?"
"It's only so... immense."
"You're right! But don't tell this anyone. I've got a reputation to lose."

That's how I'd translate it, but I'm no native English speaker either. The "Solo... immensamente." part is strange, since you have no verb, only an adverb. Not sure if this translation is right.
Back to top Go down
Yoshi

Yoshi

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 8:33 am

Lyla wrote:
Banker wrote:
Wait: could PK2 be a news for everyone here?
It definitely wasn't released in a lot of countries, I'd even guess it's Italy-exclusive.

I stand corrected: 1-9 were released in Denmark, all of them were released in Sweden and Norway:
http://coa.inducks.org/comp.php?mode=6&c=IC+PK2+

It doesn't seem to be a different series for Sweden, Norway and Denmark either.

Last edited by Yoshi on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaming-universe.de
Banker
Admin
Banker

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 8:36 am

Yoshi wrote:
It definitely wasn't released in a lot of countries, I'd even guess it's Italy-exclusive.

Not at all. My country even got PK3.
Back to top Go down
Yoshi

Yoshi

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 8:54 am

What is PK3? Do you mean Pkappa or did your country have exclusive PK stories?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaming-universe.de
Banker
Admin
Banker

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 8:59 am

Yoshi wrote:
What is PK3? Do you mean Pkappa or did your country have exclusive PK stories?

Yeah, I mean Pikappa.
Back to top Go down
Krozam

Krozam

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Rather than bad translation, I actually meant bad English. I'm in no position to evaluate the translation, since I don't know Italian, but the text definitely needs to be edited by someone with a good grasp of English.
Back to top Go down
Banker
Admin
Banker

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Well, the translations are fine as they are, though I'm probably gonna have to do my own little remasterations of them just to have it look better.
Back to top Go down
Krozam

Krozam

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:53 pm

I didn't mean your works. Even #13 is fine, it's just this one issue that needs reworking. >.<
Back to top Go down
Banker
Admin
Banker

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Wasn't implying that you meant my work.
Back to top Go down
Lyla

Lyla

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Asparagus32 wrote:
"So it's true..."
"I hoped it 'til now!"
"Don't tell me you're scared?"
"It's only so... immense."
"You're right! But don't tell this anyone. I've got a reputation to lose."

That's how I'd translate it, but I'm no native English speaker either. The "Solo... immensamente." part is strange, since you have no verb, only an adverb. Not sure if this translation is right.
The meant of "Solo... immensamente." is like "I'm just immensely scared!". Then, for me the correct translation would be "Just... immensely".
The Raider's answer is strange too, to me. "I've got a reputation to lose" sounds strange. XD
Seems like he have to lose a reputation, and not to mantain it.

For me, this actual translation is good. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

#14 - Carpe Diem Empty
PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   #14 - Carpe Diem I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

#14 - Carpe Diem
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Duck Avenger Forum :: Discussions :: Issue Discussion-
Jump to: