Duck Avenger Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duck Avenger Forum

BETA

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What have you read about PK?

Go down 
+2
Banker
Lyla
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lyla

Lyla

What have you read about PK? Empty
PostSubject: What have you read about PK?   What have you read about PK? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm curious to ear what non-italian people know, generally, about PK... since I discovered that the second serie isn't really known here, or that issues were publicated in strange ways...
I've read all the PK series, even if I don't remember a lot of things of the third... Razz
But I'm also curious to see if someone know, also by hearsay, something else about PK. "PRDQP", the PK-Mail, Bertoni, the hamsters thing xD and stuff like that... because those things are good part of the causes and consequences of this series success... I mean... I could spend an afternoon reading the cr*p written on Pk-Mail. XD
Back to top Go down
Banker
Admin
Banker

PostSubject: Re: What have you read about PK?   What have you read about PK? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Nothing more I can add to that.

My experience with PKNA in my country totaled up to only having read 3 and 1/5 issues before I stumbled upon the blog.

Why didn't I buy more issues? Because stupid.

But no, know nothing about stuff like that Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/LordofCorruption?feature=mhee
Maximillion_Pegasus

Maximillion_Pegasus

PostSubject: Re: What have you read about PK?   What have you read about PK? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Never even read anything of Guido Martina's DA stories? The ones about DA's origins.
Back to top Go down
Asparagus32

Asparagus32

PostSubject: Re: What have you read about PK?   What have you read about PK? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 7:38 pm

I bought them, when they first came out in Germany (I was 12 years old) and simply loved them. After issue 7 I thought I had missed #8 (because of vacation in a country without German comics) but some months later I had to come to the conclusion, that there wouldn't be any further PK issues.

Some years later I threw away almost all of my Disney stuff because it wasn't "cool" to own it at this age (I often curse this temporarly insane younger me). Sometime later I saw PK was released again in Germany but didn't buy it.

13 years later I remembered this series in a stroke of nostalgia and tried to find out more about it, which finally led me to the blog.

There was no PKmail in German issues and no introduction. But they translated the "Scheda personale" and technical stuff. Well, at least at the beginning. I don't know when they stopped (there are almost no scans of the first releases in the internet and my memory is crappy), but it was only after a few issues, then it was main story and nothing else. The second release scrapped everything except the main story, even bonus stories starting from issue 8 weren't included.

It's hard to say if this caused the series to fail in Germany, though a PKmail section would have probably reduced the confusion caused by leaving out issue 0 and starting with issue 0/1 (yay for references in the stories to a issue, which was never released).

Quote :
Never even read anything of Guido Martina's DA stories? The ones about DA's origins.
Are you referring to the "Diabolico vendicatore" stories, that were also linked once in the Blog?

What have you read about PK? 174_norm

I read those. I love Donald as this extremely egoistic "super hero"; Scrap hunting bad guys, let's use this stuff to threaten people, get some revenge and impress a girl!
Back to top Go down
Banker
Admin
Banker

PostSubject: Re: What have you read about PK?   What have you read about PK? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 7:50 pm

Stupid f*cking younger selves...
Back to top Go down
Krozam

Krozam

PostSubject: Re: What have you read about PK?   What have you read about PK? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Banker wrote:
Stupid f*cking younger selves...
Ditto.

As for what else I've read of Paperinik... Well, some of the older stories were released in Finland in Donald Duck pocket books. As a kid I bought every single book in the series, including the ones that came out before I started collecting, up until #250 or so. I loved the first phase PK, the avenger-type. Finally a Donald with no bad luck, who could pay back for all those years of humiliation and exploitation.The second phase PK wasn't nearly as interesting, just a boring hero doing the police's work in catching criminals, usually having silly gadgets do all the work, instead of brains, like Mickey.

This third-phase PK, of course, leaves the other two far behind. Finally something mature and deep with a continuous plot from Disney, not to mention the huge entertainment value. PK still catches criminals with gadgets, but the criminals are much more interesting and the gadgets much cooler. And he's much, much more badass than ever before. Naturally, I bought all the issues that were released here, and I was really pissed when they cancelled the publication after only about a year. Stupid Finns, the ordinary Disney serializations sell extremely well here despite their weakening overall quality, but the absolutely superior quality PKNA couldn't get enough readers... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Lyla

Lyla

PostSubject: Re: What have you read about PK?   What have you read about PK? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 10:32 pm

That's maybe because the most of the readers were too young... but it's just a speculation.
Back to top Go down
Krozam

Krozam

PostSubject: Re: What have you read about PK?   What have you read about PK? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 1:30 pm

That's no doubt one reason. Surprisingly many adults still read Donald Duck or other children's comics, but back then there was still a strong image that comics are only for kids. Luckily, the image is breaking with the coming of manga on Western markets, though the stuff that's officially translated is still mostly for kids - only the target audience is a bit older kids, teenagers. For the deep and mature stuff you usually have to find fan-scanlations.
Back to top Go down
Lyla

Lyla

PostSubject: Re: What have you read about PK?   What have you read about PK? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 4:03 pm

Ah, I know it. Here it's more or less the same... but many many teenagers and adults continue to read Disney comics, yes, also here. Wink
Back to top Go down
Banker
Admin
Banker

PostSubject: Re: What have you read about PK?   What have you read about PK? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 8:31 pm

And then there were those with the opinion that this series completely goes against the character of Donald Duck and that fighting bad guys doesn't fit him at all... F*CK'EM!
Back to top Go down
Krozam

Krozam

PostSubject: Re: What have you read about PK?   What have you read about PK? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Donald's character has stayed nearly unchanged for decades. Finally there is some character development, and they complain about it? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Lyla

Lyla

PostSubject: Re: What have you read about PK?   What have you read about PK? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Krozam wrote:
Donald's character has stayed nearly unchanged for decades. Finally there is some character development, and they complain about it? Rolling Eyes
Yes, because for them it ISN'T like Donald Duck... instead, he IS, but in a different context.
Seriously, Paperinik has existed for YEARS. THIS Paperinik it's not so different from the one of Martina.
Back to top Go down
Mr Blotling

Mr Blotling

PostSubject: Re: What have you read about PK?   What have you read about PK? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 4:21 am

Krozam wrote:

This is very much true for much of the classic Disney stuff and they are fully aware of it. Epic Mickey was an attempt at creating a darker Mickey than most people knew, but the initial plans were heavily toned down due to negative responses from test groups. So even if the product has grown stale and is in dire need of a makeover, people will complain about it. Nostalgia trumps (re)innovation. Another thing is that the image of the traditional Disney characters (such as Donald and Mickey) is quite different depending on where you live. Americans rarely knows any other version than the animated one while Europeans lean more towards the comic canon. And since Disney is an American company (which frankly doesn't care much for comics anyways), they will go with what the Americans know and care little for the rest.

Also, the console game hardly did the image of the Duck Avenger any good for potential fans...

But as for me and my experience with the Duck Avenger. Well, I've been reading duck comics since I was about 2 or so, and DA sorta came with it. In fact, for translating the DA origin story I'm using an oversized compilation of DA stories called "Jag, Stål-Kalle" (Swedish one, as you probably understand. Italians might know the line as "Io..." or "Cartonatoni Disney") that I got as a gift when I was about 3.5 years old. Seriously, this thing is friggin' huge for a comic book so imagine the size of it in the hands of a kid barely 4 years old!

For PKNA, I picked up the first issue when it came out and found it to be totally awesome and continued to read most of them up until issue 38 or so, viewing myself as a bit too old for it, not so much for the content but rather for being too old to go into a store and buy Disney comics. A decision I came to regret, thinking I had missed the opportunity to read the rest for good.

Lately my interest for Disney comics has been somewhat reignited (it was never dead, just quite low), I stumbled upon these translations, found that the comics as good as I remembered them (seriously, these comic has aged amazingly well), realized I remembered very little if anything about lots of the stories and well, that's it.

Oh well, I'll stop boring you now Wink

-Blotling
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What have you read about PK?   What have you read about PK? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What have you read about PK?
Page 1 of 1